Who Owns SRRUC?

SRRUC is owned and controlled by the Town of Black Diamond, Town of Turner Valley, and Foothills County. SRRUC is administered by a Board of Directors, made up of shareholder representatives. The three member municipalities receive an allocation of the available water supply based on their proportionate investment in the assets that supply the water. The Village of Longview has not invested in the system but remains involved to understand potential options for future water supply needs.

Why was the corporation model chosen?

Through the development of the regional water system several organization structures were examined. The corporation model best suited the objectives of the SRRUC member municipalities.

What are the benefits to a regional water supply?

Supplying water through regional collaboration allows member municipalities to pool efforts and resources to ensure that the communities within the region are provided with high quality drinking water in the most cost-effective and sustainable manner. Furthermore, the decision to consolidate management and operational servicing with one member municipality (Foothills County) offers a number of benefits, including:

  • Increased efficiency between administrative and operational services
  • Cost effective service delivery
  • Increased coverage for vacations, on-call and emergency responses

How much capacity does SRRUC’s treatment plant have?

The entire system including water diversion, raw water storage, treatment and transmission that SRRUC water system is designed to produce a maximum day flow of 7,300m3 /d which can serve a population of approximately 10,000 people based on 315L/capita/day (70 lgal/c/d).

Why are water restrictions put in place?

Through monitoring on-going water supply, water demand, raw water storage volumes, and based on direction from Alberta Environment, SRRUC advises its member municipalities when it would be prudent to impose higher level water conservation measures. These measures ensure water supply can be maintained for essential usage (emergencies, consumption, etc.) over a sustained period of time.

Water shortages can happen for a variety of reasons, including:

Who sets the utility rates?

Each member municipality is responsible for distributing potable water to customers, this includes water delivery, metering, and billing for water services. SRRUC does not set utility bills and rates for member municipalities.

Does the Hamlet of Millarville receive water from SRRUC?

Until such time as Foothills County has approval from Alberta Environment and Protection for servicing and water supply , Millarville cannot be serviced by SRRUC.